Thursday, April 10, 2008

Resigned and Relinquished

Sometimes there are no two ways to learn English other than to use it. And use it often and to try and use it correctly each time. Only then can self-taught English users move forward.

My written English is way better than my spoken English because I seldom speak in the language English. I think a lot in that language though and use the language in its written form more than I use the Malay language.

So you would find me struggling to construct a sentence when you speak to me in English because I keep on correcting the way I speak English and my mind would not be able to process the correction fast enough to make the conversation meaningful.

This is one area I intend to improve on.

Even in its written form I find it hard to express myself in English but at least in writing, I can always hit the backspace or delete keys on the keyboard and type in the new words or correct the tense.

So come to think of it, there no other way to learn English other than to learn how to use it.

Take the word relinquish for instance. I know what relinquish is as opposed to resign. But I have not used the word for maybe three years that I entirely forget that I know the word. So today I had used the word resign instead because no matter how hard I squeeze my brain, the word just don't come by.

Which brings us to my point -- that in order to learn English, you just need to use it as often as possible either actively -- by writing and talking in English, or passively -- by listening, thinking and reading in English.

No comments: