Saturday, February 23, 2008

Are You Still Learning?

I do. I learn all the time. Right now I'm reading "The Element of Style" by William Strunk Jr and EB White. It's an old book, revised many times by White, Strunk's trusted disciple. Mine is the fourth edition.

And I must admit I'm a Strunkian convert although I'm not yet a good devotee. Here's the principle of Strunkian, in 59 words:
Vigorous writing is concise. A sentence should contain no unnecessary words, a paragraph no unnecessary sentences, for the same reason that a drawing should have no unnecessary lines and a machine no unnecessary parts. This requires not that the writer make all his sentences short, or that he avoid all detail and treat his subjects only in outline, but that every word tell.

But as much as I admire the wisdom of Stunk, I won't do one thing and that is to write Charles's friend or Burns's poem. I think I'll stick with Charles' friend and Burns' poem.

No comments: